Oh Carolina!

My journey through Kenan-Flagler Business School of the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill

Monday, April 30, 2007

What a year

I wrote my last exam for the Academic Year today and I’m done! It’s been a wonderful year filled with non-stop action. All I want to do now is just sit around and do absolutely nothing. Knowing myself though, after two days, I know I’ll start feeling like there’s something I ought to be doing. Until then, I’ll take a break; move my things out of the apartment to storage and head on down south for some good quality vacation with the family.

One of the things I’ve heard from several of my classmates is that business school is a humbling experience. That is one very true statement. One of them once commented that he had a huge ego before business school and all that has been well trimmed now. During the year, I met some of the smartest, highly driven and ambitious people I’ve ever met. I have learnt a lot especially going through the investment banking recruitment process. I met a lot of very helpful Alums along the way. I did the most intense networking I’ve ever had to. I met interviewers that were very encouraging. I met a few wacky ones too including one that told me he really liked me and is certain I will get several offers (Only for him to end up not making me an offer. I couldn’t help but truly wonder WTF?) I learnt also that the concept of fit is very important, whether you are picking business schools to attend or employer to work for. Another important lesson is that when you interview with a firm that typically does not recruit from your school, you will be subject do a high level of scrutiny. One such firm took me through 4 rounds of interviews.

Through this blog, I received a number of emails during the course of the year from prospective applicants and other fellow MBA students. Needless to say, I’ve had a wonderful year. I’m all set for the summer and will kick it off with a month long vacation before I start working. My summer employer was kind enough to help secure a furnished and highly subsidized apartment very close to work. I’m very grateful to God and pray for an even more fulfilling second year.

For all those of you that are starting in Business School this Fall, I know you are all wondering what you should be reading before starting school. I have two words for you. Chill Out. Have as much fun as you can and read no textbook. If your school has some kind of summer quant workshop like the ASW at Kenan-Flagler, I will strongly recommend that you take it. I did, and I’m glad I did. The only serious reading I can recommend is that you start researching companies, careers and job functions that you think you might be interested in. The Vault and Wetfeet Guides will do you a lot of good. Keep those emails coming and I’ll keep answering them until I start work in June. I’ll wrap things up later tonight by having dinner with fellow blogger Buckyhoo who is now a bona fide MBA. Peace y’all.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats you dederve this break. Enjoy your summer before I come to campus and really bombard you with questions

Jay

7:05 AM  
Blogger DingProof said...

Looking forward to it :-)

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home